When visiting Guatemala, I actually watched as children would sit on the sidewalk hungry... crying in hopes that they will come across someones scrap food that evening.
Here are some of the items inside of the totes:
- Clothes Line & Clothes Pins
- Bar Soap
- Jeans and shirts for the boys
- A doll for Marcos' sister - I noticed while visiting, her doll was missing a leg and it was naked
- 2 Hot Wheels for each boy
- Sketch books, construction paper, glue, markers, pencil boxes, pencils, pencil sharpners, crayons
- Socks & Under ware
- Paddle ball games
- Toothbrushes & Toothpaste
- 3 Bags of Candy in each tote (I know, it kind of counter acts the toothpaste lol)
- Photo albums with photos of the families and us with the families
- One big bath towel each
- Hair brushes
- Mickey Mouse Puzzles for each
I'll be auctioning off the handmade quilt I bought in Guatemala. I love it, but feel so guilty having it - knowing I can sell it to put the money towards our students!
I'll let you know when, and I'll let you know the ebay link when it's ready. :)
So, are you wondering why I'm pouting?
Today, I've thought so much of the boys we sponsor in Guatemala. I am just sad that they have to live in total poverty. I'd bring their whole families to come live with us in a heart beat if I could!
I really need to come up with the funds so that two of the boys can have a cement floor put in their homes, and Oscars family needs a bed... Marcos and his family need a table.
I just started making jewelry, so I think I may try to sell a few pieces.
I received photos of Oscar today, they are terrific! I notice he's wearing shirts in both pictures that Candy sent! :)