Garage Sale

Well, we had our garage sale yesterday... it went okay but I was hoping to have a better money total. We had $196. in sales. Not bad, but not nearly as well as we did last time.

Here are a list of items I would still like to buy for the families once we are there... it's not looking like we will be able to do everything this time... which I am a bit sad about... but, I guess every bit helps!

Table/chairs for all families (about $70 per family, plus delivery)
Chickens/coop for two more families ($135 for each family)
A pila (sink) for Marcos and Oscars families ($95 for each family)
Bed(s) for Oscars family, ($130 for each bed)
One more bed for Marcos' family ($130)

I'd like to buy shoes for the families while we are there - we only have two more weeks to raise money... shoes are aprox $25 a pair.

Also, one thing nagging at my heart - I want to give those little girls in Marcos' family baby dolls! I see only one in the photo - and it's missing a leg. I know this sounds silly for me to want to take the girls dolls, as they odviously need other things- but I think the girls will be very thankful.

Closets would be nice (aprox. $70 plus delivery), but when I go visit - I will scope out the area, I'm actually afraid if we buy them too much they may have things stolen? I'm not quite sure and need to check more into the culture of their area.

I will be squeezing clothes line in my luggage, as well as all of the blankets and shirts/sweatshirts/hats one of our friends donated. I will also pick up things at the market for needy families.

I'm either going to pack hangers or buy hangers once I get there to give the families. Even if they do not have closets, they can use the hangers to hang the clothes on the line...

I already have the date I will be going to see Marcos and his family. We will have to pay for transportation - it is about $45 US from the oragnization to his home across the lake.

Here are photos as a reminder to us of Marcos' home:

1 Comment:

  1. Holly said...
    That's very kind of you to buy your families all those things. You bring up a good point, though, and it's a discussion I have had with my husband. At what point does the giving become too much? Some of the things we want to give our families are true luxuries to them, even though they aren't to us. If we give them more than the usual gifts of a stove, a pila, a bed, do their neighbors become envious of them? Does it cause discord within their community? And do we unintentionally encourage theft...as well as materialism? Also, do the families start expecting handouts?

    My husband is very practical about all this, and he would prefer to support the community, rather than individual families after a certain point. I want to give to our family a bit more, but I see where he is coming from. We have to keep in mind the culture in which they live. Sometimes, giving less is more. Then what you do give is more valuable to them and to you. That is what I found during my time in Pana. Some thoughts to ponder.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home