Monday, Panajachel

This morning started very early. We went to the Hyper Piaz in Guatemala City. We were able to buy our sponsored students soccer balls. We went back to the hotel to find a guard holding a double barrel shot gun. He had a shirt that said Wakenhut on it. I am not sure if he actually worked for that company or not. He had a bullet proof vest on the outside of his shirt.

We quickly went to our rooms, packed up and the shuttle arrived at our hotel at 10am. We loaded the shuttle up, and the three hour ride began. We stopped for gas one time.

Guatemala is a very poor country. It is dirty, and filled with smog... yet, I have met the most beautiful culture ever. Everyone thus far has been very loving and kind... except for one I will tell you about later in the blog.

As we drove up to Mayan Families... there was a large block wall with a door in it. I was not sure what to expect. As we rang the door bell, a couple of young boys answered the door and many dogs. 21 to be exact.

We were able to meet Sharon, who has been wonderful... as well as a few other who worked for Mayan Families. They served us a delicious lunch of rice, beans, plantations, chicken, and other Guatemalan food. So far, we have not been sick...

Soon after eatting, Oscar and his family arrived. Hunter was loving every second. Oscar and Hunter played Soccer for quite a long time... Hunter gave Oscar his soccer ball right away. We also gave the family blankets and clothing Candy sent. I am POSITIVE these items will be used and very much appreciated.

Next, Marcos... his mother and his brother arrived. I was so surprised to meet them... as I did not think I would be meeting them until tomorrow. We will be going to their home tomorrow. Marcos arrived VERY happy to see us. It was like he knew exactly who we were. He ran up to me, and gave me a hug... he was jumping because he was so excited.

Mayan Families is not a Christian Organization... they did not tell Maros and his family we were Christians. The first words out of his mothers mouth were, ¨Christ sent you to us... thank you, thank you, thank you. Christ is wonderful.¨

At that point, I began to tear up, but nothing major. lol... I tried not to be a baby.

For those of you who know me, from the beginning... God laid it on my heart that I meet Marcos and his family. We found out they are Christians... they know Jesus Christ. We could even see it in their eyes.

I still have yet to learn exactly why it´s so important to be placed with his family and getting to know his family... but it is important. Not only do I know it, but Marcos´mother. I am amazed those were the first words out of her mouth! I cannot wait to go see Marcos and his family again tomorrow.

Marcos brother Carlos was AMAZED by the crayons we had. I asked him to draw a picture for me... I handed him the crayons and paper. He did not know what the crayons were. He kept asking for a pencil... we had to show him what to do with the crayons. Once we did so, he colored two beautiful pictures for us. A bright yellow house and two children playing soccer.

Marcos drew me flowers... I drew him a funny picture of myself... with a heart and I wrote my name.

After leaving Sharons (where both of our families were to meet us) we went to our hotel. Immediately after arriving at our hotel, we had all sorts of venders trying to sell us things. I did not plan on buying anything.

We took our things to our room... then, we went to have dinner across the street from the hotel. While we were trying to eat a little boy sat outside the restaurant crying. Candace (I will tell you all about her when I can, we met her 3 days before our trip, and she came with us to Guatemala, she speaks Spanish fluently)... and I went outside to ask him what was wrong. His mother did not sell anything today. I bought a little magnet his mother made, it was only $1 however, I gave him $3. To top it off, Daphne had been hauling around sneakers with her from the states... this little boy fit the sneakers, she gave them to him. He went running home as fast as he could in his new sneakers... he was SO happy.

Candace was able to witness to the little boy, he already knew who Jesus was... and we let him know that God had our paths cross.

It is almost 8pm. I am VERY tired... as is Hunter. We do not have phone service, I cannot call out... I miss my husband and daughter and will call home as soon as possible... but, that may not be until Thursday or Friday.

The area we are in is VERY poor. The internet is very slow. I will update the blog when I can. I am surprised our hotel has internet. It is very rual here. Our room does not even have a fan. I think we have 3 small lights in the room. No soap, or anything special... yet, the staff is friendly and the hotel is very clean (had to throw that in incase you are reading mom. lol)

Over and out for tonight... God Bless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home