Tuesday

Last night we did not sleep well at all. The hussle and bussel on the road in front of us did not stop until wee hours of the night. Finally after midnight I think I fell asleep. My son and I did get into bed around 9pm, after sitting in the lobby in wooden rocking chairs. We were able to talk to each other for about an hour, we had great conversation.

Oscar, Rafael and Marcos all get along great with my son. Soccer is truly a universal language, I have seen it first hand myself.

At 8am, Mayan Families picked us up at our Hotel. We stopped along the way to pick up bread and juice to hand out at the El Tablon School. We went to a market where ¨gringos¨were not the norm. The market smelled strongly of fish and chickens. There were many markets, with Guatemalans selling jewlery, fruit, clothing, food and more. The market is located on the side of a very large Catholic church. We went up to the church gate, and observed two old women, most likely homeless... along with a stray dog eatting garbage.

The driver to the van we were taking to El Tablon School picked up bread while we walked and took photos.

We met back at the van, and headed to the school. Upon arriving to the school, children ran to the van to greet us. They were very happy and jumping with joy.

We delievered many books (thanks to Daphne), orange juice and bread. The school has about 85 children in it. Each child came through and gave us a hug and said thank you. I told every child I hugged, ¨Jesus loves you.¨

I took many photos and my son video taped.

After visiting El Tablon School, we went to see Marcos and his family. This in itself to me was an incredible journey. Marcos and his family live just about in the middle of no where. They live up a mountain, that is VERY steep. The path is narrow. It was very hot, and we should have brought more bottled water with us.

Upon arriving to Marcos house, we were out of breath. Marcos mother wiped down an old plastic chair for me to sit on. I was not worried about making my clothes dirty, as they already were... I dont know if I have ever been as dirty as I am at this second. As I type, I smell. LOL. I smell like children who have not bathed in clean water, I smell like chickens, dirt and sweat.

Marcos house is simple. They do need a cement floor. This will help the home from feeling so damp. The cost to put in a cement floor will be between 300 and $400. This will be my next fundraiser when I get home.

I think I might have mentioned in my blog, we bought food for all three families, the food will last about a month. This will help very much so.

Today I found out an amazing thing, all three of the families we sponsor are in fact Christians.

Rafaels mother and I ended up crying together today. She spoke to me today for about five minutes and I understood every word she said. We did learn something about Rafaels father. He is not dead. He suddenly has resurrected. Okay, maybe not... but here is what happend. Rafaels father left the family, he has a severe drinking problem. Rafaels mother told Mayan Families he was dead so that the family could receive help. At this time, I do not think it is wise to purchase beds or anything else for Rafaels family, as I am afraid his father will sell it so he can fund his drinking habit. Rafaels mother is trying to leave the father.

Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

I have numerous photos to share with you all upon returning back home.

We are in for the night, it´s a new day tomorrow and we have much more to do.

1 Comment:

  1. Aaron said...
    Hey Patti,
    I'm so proud of you and Hunter!! You are doing an awesome job. I teared up a couple of times reading how things are going and the impact you're making on the families and children.
    CAN'T wait to see the pictures!!!!!!:-)

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home